It was developed by the Czech designer Karel Krnka, working for an ammunition company of Georg Roth, from an earlier design of Roth–Theodorovic pistol. After development and tests of several prototypes, the final version of the Roth–Krnka won the trials for an Army pistol in 1906, and was adapted as a standard gun of Austro-Hungarian Army designated, Repetierpistole M.7. (self-loading pistol M1907).
The pistol was claimed to embody important advantages as a cavalry weapon, ease of ambidextrous operation and particularly in the isolation of the trigger system from the auto-loading action to reduce the possibility of accidental firing.
Chambered for the 8mm Roth-Steyr cartridge specific, to this model. The pistol does not have a detachable magazine, but features a fixed magazine loaded from the top with stripper clips.